Updates on my health and the blog.

I’ve finally finished loading my pre-Part IV entries into the blog, thus fulfilling 2010 Resolution #6. The formatting, spacing and margins may be a little screwed up, some of the pictures and links may not work, and the original comments are recorded in the post instead of in the comment section. But they’re loaded in, and that’s what counts. Yipee.

With a little luck, I won’t delete the whole thing again.

The day after my visit to the ER, I had an appointment with a cardiologist. They did an echocardiogram, which, according to the technician, revealed that my heart was of normal size (which deprived me of the opportunity to make a Grinch joke) and function. Considering the previous two days, this really, really surprised me.

The technician hooked me up to a Holter montior. She said to make sure the monitor didn’t get wet, that I should do what I “normally” do, to press the button if I experienced any of the symptoms that sent me to the ER in the first place, and to record said symptoms in the diary, along with whatever I was doing at the time.

I had a few conceptual problems with this. My time wearing the Holter monitor could not possibly be construed as “normal.” It was the first day of summer vacation, not a work day. I had been to the ER for the first time in my life just the day before. On normal days I shower and ride the bike, both of which mean getting wet. And I was going to walk around all day with wires and electronic devices peeking out from under my shirt. Hopefully, the doctors and techies know to take all this into account. Oh, and no one gave me a diary to record symptoms in. I ended up having to scribble them in the margins of the instruction sheet. It might’ve been legible.

That evening, I pressed the button three times and duly recorded the symptoms. I turned it in around lunchtime the next day and was told that I’d hear from the cardiologist on Monday unless something was wrong with the readings.

On Monday, I got a call from someone at the cardiologist’s office–not the cardiologist, who apparently won’t be at his office until the middle of next month–who said that the tests were normal. She seemed to think that was the end of our conversation, and was a little taken aback when I asked for some more feedback and an actual appointment with the doctor.

Today I had an appointment with my GP. He poured over the test results from the ER and the cardiologist, which was fun. The tests sounded good: thyroid normal, cholesterol normal, no diabetes, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. It looks like it was severe dehydration and the resultant sleep deprivation that sent me to the ER. Some bruising around the ribcage–where I’d been run into recently–may have also been a contributing factor, as it made breathing slightly uncomfortable (but that’s OK).

I’m off the baby aspirin and can resume moderate exercise. I check back with the cardiologist in three weeks and my GP in three months. Thank God this happened at the end of the school year instead of at the end of summer.